Monday, January 29, 2018

Cake and a Bed

There's a scene in Gilmore Girls where Richard has made "Johnny Machete" which is described as a "vile concoction made with cream of mushroom soup." Richard's gran used to make it for him when he was a boy and it makes him sentimental. Emily has no time for such a recipe and says: "I'm sorry, I'm happy you're happy and to prove it I will take exactly three bites out of this before I throw it away."

Well truth talk: that's how I felt about our chocolate cake for National Chocolate Cake Day. Husband got all sentimental about this cake his mom used to make and so that's the kind of cake we made.


In all honesty, I don't love chocolate cake. I like chocolate a lot but chocolate cake has never been my favorite much to the chagrin of my father. I always have white cake for my birthday because it's what I prefer.

So Husband set out to recreate a cake his mom made, it had chocolate chips in it. Then the frosting was a whipped frosting. It was a box of instant chocolate pudding, 1 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of milk whisked together, then a tub a Cool Whip was folded in. Then he added marshmallows to it.

Eh. I should also mention that I am not a fan of whipped icing. Give me buttercream or give me death. I mean not quite as dramatically as all that but I just don't love it. So we named it our Johnny Machete cake. He and the kids loved it. I took my three polite bites. It does look good though right? Looks like a chocolate cake.

In news from this weekend, M officially got her big, big girl bed.


She likes it. It's a twin bed. And she likes to snuggle in so much. The crib/toddler bed is gone. And I am surprisingly less emotional about that than I would have expected. I think because she's been in the toddler bed setting for so long it just hasn't felt like the crib I put my brand new babies in for a while. I don't know.

Husband went to to Slumberland because they are having a big moving sale and he thought maybe he could get a decently priced mattress. We had looked online and saw one that looked okay. But they guy wanted $350 for it when it was $190 online. He was like um... no. The man was also trying to convince him that the mattress would only be good for a year. Also... no. She weighs 32 pounds for goodness sake.

He left. He went to a different local place where they sell factory direct mattresses. And bing bang boom, we had a bed!

So there you have it. The tales of our weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a big girl bed!!!!
    And I have to say...the cake looks amazing.
    Wish I could try a piece!!!!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer a good buttercream! So glad she likes her big girl bed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!