You may remember my love for classroom Valentines. If not, you can look at last year's here. Or the year before's here. Well the TL:DR here is that I take the classroom Valentine cards very seriously and I am always trying to make them as wonderful as possible because when I was younger I was impressed by one dad's Valentines he made for his daughter every year.
This year I was trying to think of something else that would represent C and his interests since we've done walrus (and other animals) the past two years. AKA the only years in which we've made Valentines. And one night I was sitting in his room and thinking about my kid and how fortunate we were to have created a crayon themed nursery from the get-go.
Let's go way way back to when we first moved in and I took a picture of his room. We happened to buy a house where the kitchen was already red and the "kid" room was painted reminiscent of crayons. Our baby's nursery was crayon-themed and all our kitchen stuff was red and teal. Talk about God-coincidences. Anyway, here's C's room from when we moved in.
That is C's toy box. Husband designed the art and then had it large-format printed on what they wrap buildings/cars/etc with and they put it on the toy box for us. Anyway, good planning on our part because our boy loves to draw and color and write books. So obviously where I am going with this is that we should do a crayon valentine!
So I hit Google and Pinterest. They were pretty helpful.
But they weren't quite what I was looking for. I love those melted crayon shape things just as much as anyone, but I didn't really want to be on the hook for making them all look good. It's fine to make them for your kids but to give out? I just wasn't convinced they'd look cool.
And my friends, I could utilize my secret weapon. Husband. So I did. I kind of came up with a little idea and ran with it. We took the phrase that C liked best from the Pinterest ideas "for crayon out loud" and the art work from his toy box and made our own little box of crayons!
I bought this pack of crayons from Amazon. Because there are 17 kids in his class besides him we ordered two packs. Since I love to use subscribe and save the total cost was $16.91 (Approximately .70 a box) Then we printed the design Husband made on sticker paper to go on top of the boxes.
Husband took a sample box to work with him just to make sure everything was going to turn out okay. And I got this picture texted to me:
I just loved it so much. I was jumping out of my skin to see it in person. And they are perfect! Husband showed his co-workers and they glanced at it and didn't even see the name or the message change. Which has me a little nervous that it's too good but whatever I love them too much.
We even made an extra one for his 5th grade prayer buddy so 18 boxes total. I love that the crayons are the treat and there's no food. Not that I have ANYTHING against chocolates and suckers, but I just think crayons are a good thing to mix it up with. C is super excited about passing them out.
We haven't made the stickers for C to write his name on them yet, but it's going to go on the back. I am just too excited and wanted to share them with you on this first day of February! I can't believe it's February already!!




Oh my!
ReplyDeleteIn all my years as a teacher, and as a mommy, I have never loved a Valentine as much as those!!!!
Go Mom!!!!!!
I love these!!!! I made the kid's valentines one or two years before I gave up. I love that you are sticking with it. And I'm sure the kids in his class are going to go nuts over crayons with their name on the package!!!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Perfect!!! Jill
ReplyDelete