At the beginning of January Laura Pearl over at String of Pearls sent me an email asking if I’d like to read her new book Erin’s Ring. Um, yes I would thanks for asking! So as a disclaimer, Laura sent me a free copy of her book, but she didn’t tell me that I had to like it or review it favorably. I’m going to jump right in and tell you that I loved this book. I approach almost any book with trepidation and Erin’s Ring was no exception. I love Laura and really wanted to love her book. Well I did. And absolutely not just because I love Laura!
The barest of bare bones plot summary is that Molly McCormick, the unenviable new girl, finds an old, engraved Claddagh ring outside the church in the Mary Garden. She sets out to find the story behind the ring and along the way makes a good friend and falls deeply in love with her new hometown. (Truly If Dover, NH is half as charming as it’s written, the tourism board will be thanking Laura!) As Molly learns more about the history of Dover she also is given a unique insight into the lives of the Irish-Catholic Mill girls.
Erin’s Ring intertwines a more modern story with a historical story. As much as it pains me to mention, the more modern story is about 1998 so the youth of today would probably cast this entire book as “historical.” Overall it reads like a more mature American Girl story. The historical accuracy and facts are all there but it delves into some more meaty topics that catapult it to a different level altogether. Plus there is some good old fashioned romance, and who doesn’t appreciate an honest love story?
What I most appreciated about the book was that we got to meet several women in a few different time periods and each of them had different, yet relatable struggles. We are allowed inside the heads of most of the characters and it never felt awkward at all. In fact every time I picked up the book I felt as if I was reconnecting with some of my own friends.
What really grounds the characters we meet is their Catholic faith. Erin’s Ring is a practical reminder to a world that faith abounds and that the sacraments are always there. The story eloquently shows that conflicts of faith were just as common in the 1800s as they are now but also that any obstacle can be overcome. If you are in need of a strong religious role model in a work of fiction, this is the book for you!
As one might anticipate in reading a book that includes Irish immigrant mill workers there are some intense moments so I would think that readers 6th grade and up would get the most appreciation from Erin’s Ring. I am pretty sure most Catholic young ladies would find Erin’s Ring enjoyable. It is definitely the kind of book I would have loved when I was younger and I certainly found it enjoyable in my old age. The span of the women featured in the book face challenges that can speak to a woman of any age. (I am not a guy, though I would gather that just because the protagonist is a female wouldn’t immediately turn me off of reading the book.)
I am so thankful that Laura thought of me to read her book! I could go on and on about Erin's Ring but let's just say I am strongly encouraging you to read it as well. Catholic YA Fiction doesn’t get any better than this. It is available on Amazon here!
Linking up for the triumphant return of WWRW. It’s only monthly for the time being but we’re all happy Jessica is back at it!


Thank you for sharing; already had this on my to-read pile but may let jump a couple of spots soon.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you enjoyed it, Madeline. Thanks a million!
ReplyDeleteAAAUGH! Covering my eyes so I don't read the spoilers because it's on my list too. I'm glad to see you liked it and that you linked up!
ReplyDelete