Dear Social Media Acquaintance,
This is hard for me to say. I am from Minnesota you see, the land of 10,000 lakes and non-confrontational people. So please know that this is coming from a well meaning place.
I'm not going to tell you what to do. But please read your car seat manual.
Even if you've done it before. Even if you are 100% certain you know how to use you car seat. Maybe you do. But I've got to tell you, some of you don't.
I'm sure you've seen social media rampages of people posting pictures of their little cutie going home from the hospital/sleeping in the car/whatever and then a litany of comments telling them how they're using the car seat wrong.
I'm not going to do that. I am not a car seat expert. I am not certified. I am not up to speed about every make and model of car seat and what the recommendations are for it. But I'll be honest here, my pediatrician went to college with me so I am lucky enough to be Facebook friends (and actually friends) with my children's doctor. I always read her links because it's actual advice from my doctor without a copay!!
She links about car seat safety a lot. I feel like we do a pretty good job. No aftermarket products, chest clips at armpit level and our toddler is still rear-facing. But even we screw up from time to time. And that's why our pediatrician links to good articles. Sometimes a reminder is necessary. It's good to reread our manuals and be refreshed on the recommendations for our specific seat.
I'm not trying to start a war. I don't really care if you want to front-face your one year old. (I mean I am going to pray that nothing happens to your kid but I'd do that even if they were rear facing.) I am not going to comment and link to articles under your pictures. I don't want to be that person.
But I am going to ask that you think about rereading your manual. Just to make sure you're doing the best you can. Because I know that's all we can do as parents.
Love,
Madeline
Amen!!
ReplyDelete