Wednesday, July 6, 2016

BLT Dip and Swimming Lessons

Every year there is a Betty Crocker calendar. You have to sign up to get it and one year I missed it. (2012) But with the exception I have managed to snag one. Every month is a different recipe with a tasty picture and they also give you tear out recipe cards for all twelve recipes which is great!

This year the Red, White and Blue poke cake was July's recipe and we had that this past weekend. But also this past weekend we made the August recipe and man, oh man, this is going to be a family favorite of ours for sure.

We made the Layered California BLT Dip. And it was the best thing ever.



Now, I don't love guacamole so we just omitted that, but I can definitely see how that would be good too. Otherwise this was delicious. It was BLT dip so that's pretty much awesome. It was so easy and good, and I would never have thought of it! This would be a great addition to a party or pot luck that is for sure! 

We served it in a hallowed out Hawaiian Sweet bread loaf and used the pieces to dip. We also used Sun Chips. Both options rock. I have never had Food Should Taste Good chips but I am pretty sure you could serve this dip with anything. 

So if you like tomatoes or will soon find yourself in abundance of tomatoes, I recommend this friendly dip. It is a winner!!

Yesterday was the first day of swimming lessons and M's was cancelled because someone had an accident in the main pool and the chemical levels weren't stable yet. But C's lesson is in the baby pool and he had his still. 


His is the little face right in front of the red rainbow piece. Anyway, send all the good thoughts our way because he got a dud teacher. I am sure she's a good swimmer and a lovely person but the 3-4 year old age group is not her forte. 

There are two classes of the same Tot Pole level in the pool at the same time and C kept trying to join the other class because they were doing all the fun games he remembered with a perky, upbeat teacher. I did talk to him afterwards (parents aren't allowed on the pool deck) about staying with his class so hopefully the next 7 classes go a bit better but we will see. I truly couldn't blame him for wanting to switch classes. 

He has a teacher and 2 aides for 8 kids so it shouldn't have been quite the herding cats experience that it was. (That's a pretty darn good ratio. Plus each class has a life guard watching, but their job obviously is not herding children.) I was not the only frustrated mom sitting on the other side of the fence. I also did not have the only wandering kid. 

Ah well, C had a REALLY fun time even though nothing was accomplished so that's what counts. And he didn't cry when it was time to get out so that's major progress from last year! He just loves swimming and being in the water. As far as he was concerned, they could have just had open swim for the 40 minutes and he'd be good. So we'll see how it goes tonight. At least M should get to swim today. 




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that recipe! I love a good dip! Hopefully soon I'll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. Good luck with the swimming lessons. It stinks that the teacher isn't a little better with smaller kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!