The plot is this: Henrietta had cervical cancer in the 1950s. The doctors took some of her tumor and those cells are still alive today. The cells have advanced medical research tenfold. Her surviving family has a really depressing life full of tragedy.
I kept feeling like I was supposed to be outraged by the circumstances in the book but all the money in the world wouldn't have stopped some of the tragedies that her family survived. Nevertheless, we had a good discussion.
Friday, because my house was clean anyway, I hosted a playdate. We had our friends from our preschool over. We had seen MC not too long ago, but it had been a while since we'd seen J. And I think it was the last day of school when they were all together. It was precious. They clearly missed each other. Everyone had grown in the past month and it was wonderful to see them all play together.
In the afternoon I kind of just wanted to read, so I found an activity that would distract the kids. I filled up our sensory table with water beads that I already had hydrated. They were playing with them fine but were making kind of a mess on the porch so I just moved them to the patio. The table is usually our inside table but it wasn't outside super long.
Saturday was the superhero costume birthday party! C was so excited. We last minute (like Friday night while he was sleeping.) got a Captain America mask at Walgreens to add to the look. C was SO excited to go to the party. It was his first "drop over" (drop off) birthday party and also the first time I let him pick out the present. So he was super excited.
The party wasn't super long and it was on the other side of town. And just when the birthday boy's mom and another mom were convincing me to just stay and hang out, C asked me if I could please go. He was so polite and so earnest so I did. I went to the grocery store to buy sunbutter and then hit a drive through for a cold beverage.
Then I went back to the party and sat in the car in their cul-de-sac.
I drank my pop and read a book on my phone. It was a gorgeous morning and I had my windows open. I wasn't super close but the acoustics must have been pretty good because I heard the "Happy Birthday song" and the opening of presents! "Batman! Legos! A Baseball!" It was too cute.
I walked in only a minute early and caught the end of the pinata fun.
It was a highly successful party and apparently the birthday boy did, in fact, enjoy the present that C said he would like so that's great!
Yesterday afternoon I had my other book club. We read Far From the Maddening Crowd by Thomas Hardy. It is a hard read and the main character Bathsheba just makes one bad decision after another. All to come full circle. Blah. Not my favorite book.
But there were only two of us and so we had a good conversation. We got to know each other better and had a great time!
A snazzy weekend was had by all!






No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!