Monday, July 11, 2022

Another Weekend, Another Show and an Ordination

Saturday was just the best day! 

Our friend was ordained a permanent deacon. I got one of the coveted tickets to the Mass and it was so lovely and emotional. (In a good way!) The program very specifically said to not take pictures during the liturgy and I am a rule follower so I didn't. There were plenty of people taking them though so I do have a tiny little bit of regret for NOT taking even one quick one. 

It's hard to know what the most moving part was. 

Watching a Diocese's worth of priests and deacons process in? Hearing the consecration and doxology in surround sound? Watching the new deacons' wives carry their vestments to them and then watching them be dressed by another deacon? *These were in fact all the moments that made me tear up, however.

I think my favorite moment of the liturgy was when each Deacon was holding the Book of the Gospels and the Bishop said "Receive the Gospel of Christ whose herald you have become. Believe what you read, teach what you believe, and practice what you teach." 

Then afterward there was a party with all my favorite people at the new deacon's house. And it was SO good. 

Yesterday was his first mass and homily, so it was packed. It was good. And I definitely teared up again when the three (2 deacons and Fr.) kissed the altar at the beginning of mass. 

Then after that, we went to see another show. Because the Summer of Theatre that's why. (For what it's worth, this was the last planned show on our schedule. The summer isn't over and there are plenty of other options and things to see but we haven't gotten tickets for anything else.)

But we ultimately had fun.  



It was bright so they're a little squinty. Nevertheless. 

Now it's Monday already, which seems crazy. 

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful!!! What an honor to be there and witness such a blessed event. And for the record, I wouldn't have taken a picture either. That's us, right?! Your kiddos are the cutest. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be able to experience that! I know that our diocese always has a photographer at these type of events. There was even a photographer when I went to the mass to have our parish's new chapel and altar blessed. It was a little distracting but there were lots of pictures on the diocesan website. Maybe you can find some pictures of your friend there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!