But when it comes to cookies well Betty Crocker is where it's at. Sure I have Martha's book too and some of her recipes are really good. But Betty's got that down home you could actually make these kind of recipes. I use:
I have written about this book before, back during Gingerbread House time. But in case you don't remember I will explain. This is my favorite cook book. I have my Grandmother's copy, with vanilla stains, and notes about certain recipes and clippings from magazines and newspapers pressed between the pages but the binding isn't doing so well. However, the lovely Betty Crocker people re-released the book EXACTLY the same. (There is a note about how food safety and popular ingredients have changed through the years) but it is still all 1963. The photographs are real and the food styling is just so homey that every single cookie looks possible because they aren't too perfect.
When it came time on Friday to make our cookies for our party, C and I got out the Cooky Book (I just love that it's spelled with a Y) and got to work. We use Mary's Sugar Cookies on page 18. I have made Ethel's Sugar Cookies as well (very tasty and also on page 18) but for cookies for decorating Mary's cookies are where it's at.
And you guys, they were perfect. We chilled them for about 4 hours and rolled them out, cut them with our heart cookie cutters and 8 minutes later we had PERFECT cookies. Crisp around the edges with a soft chew in the middle, perfect for decorating. Just ignore my flash and head in the window and look at the fun C is having.
(He insists on putting on his apron when we cook and apparently that spilled over into decorating too.)
It was a very happy Valentine's Day with cookies to decorate. Everyone enjoyed themselves. I used store bought frosting and then just a few different kinds of sprinkles so that it was easy peasy. And it was. We also had Papa Murphey's and punch because we're fancy like that.
We had a great Valentine's Day and a good weekend. Now we're back to Monday and the weather is GROSS. But on the upside it is supposed to be nice the rest of the week so I am looking forward to that!


Yum!!!! Cookies!
ReplyDeleteI don't have that book, but my mom has the original one. I may have to "borrow" it sometime from her house. I am not sure if you knew, but I worked at General Mills for 8 1/2 years and loved walking by the test kitchens. They had a 2nd floor viewing window and it was by the elevators so I loved to go over and see what they were working on that particular day. Also, I do miss the Company Store, so many great things in there and the food was sold around cost, such as 2.25 for a big box of cheerios, stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteIts been awhile since I've been on the blogs - oh my goodness - C has grown into a little boy!! ;-( Oh, he's so cute! but it is so hard on mommy! He's adorable!!!
ReplyDelete