Thursday, February 27, 2014

Theme Thursday: Fences

You may have noticed, (okay probably not, I am not that important and that is a really self-centered statement I just made) that I did not participate in Theme Thursday last week. I wish I had a good reason for you or something. But no.  I don't have any particularly interesting or pretty dishes. And I have written about this recently but as I hate washing dishes more than any other household chore, I love me some paper plates. And that's all good and fine but that makes for a really uninteresting picture. 

Then we got to this week and fences. Call me lazy or crazy but there wasn't a chance in *use your preferred strong word here* that I was venturing out of this house into the arctic to take a picture of an interesting fence. And while we have a chain link fence in the back yard it's about as interesting as tin foil. And since you could build a cool sculpture out of tin foil, the chain link fence is even less interesting.

And I just thought that maybe Theme Thursday and I were going to have to have a little alone time. It's not you, it's me kind of a thing. It's too cold, I'm not feeling creative enough, Husband always has the nice camera at work these days... you know, first world problems at their finest really. 

But I couldn't do it. Thursdays beckon me and I just have to. So here. Fine. It only involved going to the basement. 

Fences by August Wilson
August Wilson. Do you know about him? He wrote "The Pittsburg Cycle" or the "Century Cycle." 10 plays. One for every decade to explore the Black experience in America. They were not written in order of their decade but they are beautiful works of dramatic literature.

Anyhow, Fences, is the Pulitzer Prize winning story set in the 1950s. It's pretty good. Lots of symbolism. A tragedy at it's core. Nevertheless, it's the only Fence I have inside my house and so that's what I have for this week. 

I am just super failing at this 7 in 7 week. Clearly I blog differently than others because I don't have a bunch of unpublished drafts started. And Micaela is all "Link-ups don't count and must be in addition." She's got guts I'll tell you that because if link-ups actually didn't count I wouldn't have signed on.

Anyway, Happy Thursday. I will see all of you back here tomorrow for another post. Link up with Cari if you are more ambitious than I and have a picture of a fence.



2 comments:

  1. I'm totally counting link-ups as part of my 7 in 7! There is no way I could do it without link-ups for post fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And since you could build a cool sculpture out of tin foil, the chain link fence is even less interesting." AHAHAHAHAHA! Made my morning.

    Listen, I only made those rules for me. And they are super duper difficult and I regret ever making them, but since I did, I'm sticking with it. At least so far. Although there aren't really any link-ups other than WWRW and TT that truly tempt me away from writing, so I think I may be safe now. Unless I just don't write for the next three days. Which given the fact that I might lose my mind with all the explosion of thoughts etc, is quite a possibility.

    Wow, I really just spent a lot of time on that statement. :) The book sounds fantastic. I haven't heard of that series before. Add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!