Sunday, August 10, 2014

AMT: 8


It's time for another Answer Me This! The link up with Kendra where we answer some random questions and sneak a blog post in! 


1. What do you still want to do this summer?

Go on our zoo vacation. I have been planning a 3 day weekend trip to a zoo near us since LAST summer. And it still hasn't happened. But it is going to. We have it narrowed down to 2 weekends in the near future. And I am really excited. Really, really excited. 

It seems every time we've traveled at all in the entirety of our marriage besides our honeymoon it was to something. To see family, for work, a wedding etc. I am all kinds of excited for even 3 days with just my own little family doing our own thing. It's like a real and true vacation! 

PLUS this trip will be exciting because we are going to see a walrus. And my toddler is obsessed with walrus. It's why we picked this particular zoo in fact!

2. What's your favorite kind of pie?

Apple. Which works out pretty well since Husband's family owns an apple orchard and fall brings a boatload of free apples. (Really the perk of the family I appreciate most.) Husband of course, growing up with apples is usually less than impressed by apple things. But he does like my pie.

I'm not even trying to brag though. My pie isn't that special, I'm just not cranking out a lot of pies at once and I spend more time with my spice blend than his family. I also don't overcook my crust. Just saying. It's the love in my pie that makes it good.

3. How much sleep do you need each day? How much do you get?

I am a sleeper. If sleep was a love language that would be mine. I need as much sleep as possible. This translates to about 7 or 8ish hours at night and a mid-day nap. (C sleeps from 1-4 and I usually go from 1:30/2:00 depending on chores to 3:58.)

Of course in October the baby will mix things up again and I will have to find my new normal. C is definitely my child though, he is a good sleeper and needs his sleep or he is a grumpy pants. Like me.

4. Do you prefer to swim in a pool, lake, river, or ocean?

Pool. Lakes have fish/weeds/smells. Oceans have waves. Rivers are gross. Pools. 100% pools.

5. Do you know any poems by heart?

Not long ones. But yes. In elementary school we had "Poetry and Punch." A few times a year in second grade and fifth grade (Maybe third and fourth too but I distinctly remember second and fifth.) we would memorize a poem and recite it for all the parents. It was a big deal. The little portable microphone would be in the classroom and you'd say your poem. Then you got a glass of punch and a cookie. With your parents. I wonder if schools still do this? They should. (And all you homeschooling mama's, you should totally start a Poetry and Punch too.)
Hawaiian Punch in a giant food service can. With the little triangle openers.
Nothing but the classiest punch for school events.

I was that kid who refused to use a Shel Silverstein poem. Because they were overdone and everyone else used his work. And they were nonsensical. That says so much about who I am as a person. Madeline, refusing to conform to the popular opinion of art since 1993.

I can also do the first 2 chunks of  Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. That, funny enough, is also knowledge retained in fifth grade. Probably for "Poetry and Punch."


6. Do you use the public library?

Yep. I do. I have 3 library cards, one for my current town, one for my grad school town and one for my hometown. I use all 3 to find the ebooks I need/want and get on wait lists usually for all 3 for really popular books. I only go to my local library when I can't get the book I want on ebook. And I usually reserve it ahead of time. 

We always pick out a few children's books when we go and we always just do the spur of the moment picking with those. 

2 comments:

  1. Poetry and Punch sounds like so much fun! I don't recall our school doing something like that. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vacation sounds AWESOME...one of the things I'm most excited about is to take baby peanut to the zoo!!! I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!