Tuesday, July 7, 2015

WWRT: More Books.

I fell back into reading and I have some more things to tell you about.

Last week I read Judy Blume's In the Unlikely Event. The book follows the actually true story of 3 planes crashing in the town of Elizabeth, NJ and it's effect on the lives of the fictional masses. The main perspective of the story is that of Miri, a 15 year old girl. That surprised me, but didn't all at the same time. This is clearly Judy Blume for adults but it still came from a teenage point of view for most of the book.


The voices in the book become a large chorus, giving the reader snippets from many many people, which can be a little confusing at times but it somehow works out. Blume has this way of writing where you never ever think. You just become immersed in the world and nothing seems out of place or overhanded. I can't say all ends well or that even everything wraps up completely, but when does life ever really do that?

This is the most autobiographical book of Blume's career, as she was the daughter of a dentist in Elizabeth, NJ when all the planes went down. Bottom line: if you like Judy Blume you'll probably like this. If  you don't, you probably will not.

Also this week I read Eyes on You by Kate White. This one was the Big Library Read which is a really interesting idea if you ask me, but this book was just okay.


It was the typical thriller only I thought it was fairly obvious early on who the "bad guy" was. And for that matter, I kept trying to figure out why the main character Robin hadn't figured it out as the first threat left her with a very short list of possibilities. It was a very fast, not particularly thrilling thriller. Apparently Kate White is actually a pretty good writer so I'd be willing to try another book of hers but this was a solid C. 

Linking up with Jessica again for her July WWRW. Because okay. :)


I also knocked out 2.5 of the 7 Harry Potter's for the first Happee Birthdae Harry Book Club. 


But I still have a lot of reading to go! :) Have a great Wednesday!


1 comment:

  1. The only Judy Blume books I ever read were the Fudge books when I was much younger. Hadn't realized she writes books besides children's books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!