one. We had book club last night and it was good. The book, Prayers for Sale was a solid "meh" but the discussions (both about the book and not) was great. In the book, Hennie, the main character, has a very giving heart and is always helping people in her town when possible.
two. At the same time I read an article about how food pantries have a serious need for feminine hygiene products. And I couldn't get that out of my head. I remember in junior high how mortified I was to have to go to the nurse's office once and ask for a pad. I can only imagine how it must be as an adult to go to a window and ask for some, and then after all that, hear that they don't even have any.
three. I couldn't just let that go. So I asked my book club if for our next meeting, which is the first week of December, we could also have a feminine hygiene product drive. It may be odd and I am sure it did seem weird, but this is one area of my life where I can absolutely afford to be more generous and as a group of women, to be able to help women directly means a lot to me. Perhaps you might consider donating a box or a pack to a place in need?
four. In other, non-book club or tampon related news, we have a wedding to go to today. Husband's cousin. (I threw her a shower at the end of August.) I would be excited as I usually love weddings but I am not feeling this one. It's outdoors. In the middle of October. And it's going to be cold. Also it is going to be a very low-key wedding, which is great in theory but what it actually resulted in is that the ceremony is at 4:30 and dinner doesn't start until 7:00. Luckily my kids are 2 of 26 great-grands who will be at this wedding and most are under age 10 so my kids won't be the only cold, tired and hangry ones.
five. My favorite girl is turning one on Thursday. I can't even.
six. We had a Halloween party yesterday for preschool while we learned about the letter H. It was fun and C did a pretty good job. Now, for weeks C has been telling me he was going to be a walrus and M a polar bear for Halloween. (Read: last year. And they don't sell the walrus costume in his current size.) So we have been playing up the dinosaurs like crazy and sure enough, he was very excited to "pretend to be a dinosaur" yesterday. 1/4 of the Halloween costume event done!
seven. We are supposed to answer the question of the favorite blogger we found through quick takes. And I've got nothing. I read so many blogs. And pop over to quick takes often... I'm just not sure? It's been a long time. But Colleen at Martin Family Moments and Beth at A Mom's Life are some of my favorite bloggers who also write 7QT and I've been reading them for a very long time. (5+ years!)
Linking up with Kelly because I hear that's what the cool kids are doing.
Hey! Thanks for the shout out! 5 years is a long time to read the drivel that I put out on a weekly basis but thanks for hanging in there! And I can guarantee you, it won't get any better. :)
ReplyDeleteThe tampon drive is a great idea. I honestly have never even given any thought to poor women needing help purchasing feminine supplies but it makes sense. I wonder why you never see that listed when churches are asking for donations. (At least the churches around here never ask for any.)
Okay, it's been uncommonly lovely here lately, but the whole outdoor wedding in October thing is something that I can't understand! Weather is so iffy at that time of year that it just doesn't seem to be anything that I would ever want to attempt. I think your feminine product drive sounds like a great idea. Many people notice a need here or there and ignore it, way to go on addressing it!
ReplyDelete