Saturday, April 18, 2020

A Dessert Worth Waiting For

Once upon a time, in January, I went to see Kinky Boots with Husband at our local dinner theatre. Typically when I go to shows there, I get the chocolate cheesecake for dessert. It’s delicious and a fun treat. But the “dessert of the show” was red velvet cake. Which I also enjoy. So I ordered that instead. It was disappointing. The frosting tasted like an old fridge and it didn't have a very red velvety flavor at all. I spent the entire second act wishing I had just gotten the chocolate cheesecake.

I spent months lusting after chocolate cheesecake. Never actually doing anything about it. Though we did price out buying those exact cheesecakes from Husband's work. (A restaurant food supplier.) They are expensive as heck!

Enter staying home and having nothing else to do. Two weeks ago I made my first basic cheesecake since I had never made a cheesecake before. It turned out okay.

Yesterday I took the lessons I learned from that experience and I made a chocolate cheesecake. After its sleepover in the refrigerator to set or do whatever magic takes place in the fridge, we got to enjoy it today. (In full disclosure, I may have had cheesecake for breakfast. But I have been waiting since January and these are weird times.) Months of longing for a dessert did not disappoint.

And because we have nothing else to do, we also made whipped cream and took a fancy picture of said dessert. On my grandmother's cake stand because these days call for pretty cake stands. I think it's a rule actually.





I am very happy with how it turned out. No pictures of the top because my ganache didn't look as pretty as I wanted it to. But the good news is that I have learned even more lessons this time around and so the next time I really want to have chocolate cheesecake I can make it happen.

We even took a piece to a friend, leaving a slice on her front porch. Because why not spread the joy?

2 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous!! Great job!! And I just love that cake stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people must be baking in quarantine--I've noticed lots of empty spaces on the shelves in the baking aisle.

    Your cheesecake looks fantastic (and by the way, in this house, cheesecake is a breakfast food). :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!