Wednesday, April 8, 2026

Things I Am Done Apologizing For

Have you seen the videos of the lady who says, "Welcome to the We Do Not Care Club"? 


She's a hoot. Look her up. 

Here is my own version with the 3 things I am no longer apologizing for caring or not caring about: 

1. Lucky Charms are delicious. If you had asked me what my favorite cereal was, I would have tried to say something fancy and adult. But why am I lying? I love Lucky Charms. I do. I like the oaty balanced with the marshmallows and milk. (But eating those marshmallows plain would not work for me.) So Lucky Charms is my favorite cereal. I am declaring it. And I am not sorry.


2. I don’t like basketball. I am so happy for all you March Madness fans. I know that this was your Super Bowl or whatever. And I did make a bracket, but only because my internet provider gives away a free month of internet to the winner; shockingly, I’ve never won. 

But I don’t care what team wins. I don’t care about upsets or even “underdogs.” (They’re already playing good collegiate basketball, which makes them better than all the players who didn’t even get to go to big universities to play ball. Show me a tiny D3 school win and we can talk about underdogs.) Please don’t make me watch the squeaky shoes and the back-and-forth. It gives me a headache. It’s just like an hour of the same thing over and over and over again. I do not want to go with you to a game or even go to a sports bar where the sport is on. No, thank you.


3. School Moon Journals are from the devil. I know that we don’t trust the internet. I get it. And I am a parent who backs up teachers 97% of the time. But we do a stupid moon journal in 1st grade. And 5th grade. And 7th grade. The moon. The internet can show you what the moon will look like for whatever specific date, years and years into the future. But let’s keep kids awake so they can jot down what the moon looks like tonight? Yeah no. 

The amount of stress this has caused my 5th and 7th-graders is insane.

"I can't write, it's too cloudy again." I cannot move the clouds for you. Go ahead and write that down.
"What do you mean the moon isn't visible until late?" That's what time the moonrise is. I can't solve it.

Why do I have 2 different moon journals going? Did you know the moonrise today isn’t until 1:38 am? But I am supposed to just “wake them up quick to look at the moon.” We will not be doing that. 

This morning, I found C wandering around the yard at 6:30 am trying to find the moon. I love that he cares, but I do not, and the whole thing is dumb. How is your teacher going to know if you actually observed the moon or just looked it up online?! Who cares?! Why do we keep doing moon journals?!



4 comments:

  1. 1. My guilty cereal pleasure is Captain Crunch.
    2. I love sports!!! Well, I don't watch or participate, but my husband will massage my feet while he watches, so I'm for it.
    3. We don't do Moon Journals, but I've threatened to purchase a science fair project for my kids to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lady is hilarious - as are you!
    We currently have Lucky Charms in the house, though I can't remember the last time I ate cereal, but the kids love it!
    I do love to watch a volleyball or basketball game - no weather issues and they're fast paced!
    Never heard of a moon journal, and I'm thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheerios ( a grown up cereal) but sprinkle sugar on top. I can't buy lucky charms as certain residents of my house eat the marshmallows surreptitiously.
    I think we had the misfortune of a moon journal only once. Nice idea but a nightmare for parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sweet Lady!!!!!!! You are the best. I LOVE Lucky Charms. LOVE. And I agree with you on the moon stuff. I was just saying that the education department needs to rethink the entire system due to technology. When something is available with one click, do we need to spend time on it anymore??? Love you just the way you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!