The color run was an experience. We had a homespun local charity color run, not the trademarked major touring run. But I am quite certain the end result is the same. Colored. If you haven't heard about the color runs that are quite literally coloring the nation, you run/walk/jog a 5k and at various intervals you are attacked by color. The color is cornstarch with paint in it. It is food grade and safe. That still doesn't mean you'd want it in your eyes or lungs. Our run gave us super awesome 80s glasses to wear to keep the color out of our eyes. My Tip is to keep your mouth shut!
It was a beautiful day. Just perfect. Most runs are in the morning. Ours was at 4:00. But it was sunny (and after all the rain that was amazing.) There was a breeze and it was never hot. It was a perfect day. My Tip Wear Sunscreen. At the end you will scrub off color. Scrub. If you are sunburnt that's going to hurt.
After leaving C with a sitter we hightailed it to the race and I had previously scouted out a parking spot, not too far from the race but not too close either. We got there plenty early so we could get in the correct line up section and brace ourselves. These runs are notorious for selling out and this one was no exception. Because it was a first for the town it was capped at 3000 people. And it was nuts. Some people were using the extra packets of color (each registrant got one packet and then you could purchase more.) already but we wanted to wait til the race to stop being white.
![]() |
| Before |
| Before |
The colors really really varied in how enthusiastically the volunteers colored us. While there is little to no evidence that I went through the red, yellow or purple zones at all (I did.) I am still finding blue and green on me, after 3 showers. (Including blowing my nose which is gross but interesting.) This may be because I am so pale however.
Some people would stop in the color zones and roll around in the street I didn't care that much. And I'm not much good at stopping during a wog (slightly more than a walk?) because if I stop moving then I'm done for. Husband doesn't have this problem and would occasionally get ahead of me a bit.
As is my belief with 5ks there are never enough water stations or they're in a completely useless spots and this held true of the color run. Obviously it wouldn't have made sense to have water 5 times (with each color) but they would have benefited from a second water stop after the final color just to rinse your mouth. The first water stop was after two colors which really was a good spot. I had my water bottle with and was able to rise out a few times after though as well as actually drink a bit.
While I am glad I didn't bring my iPod because it would have been GROSS at the end I wish I had it for the music/pace. Another tip... if you don't have any spectators to hold your stuff and are forced to have it with you at a color run... ziplocs are essential. I had everything in a ziploc and even still some of that fine powder made it's way on to my stuff. I'm told it really messes up your camera so I didn't even try to take pictures during the race. My Tip A good old fashioned disposable camera would have been fun to have.
Then the 5k ended, and I was glad because I was tired by that point. We turned in our timing chips and I was questioned why I had two. (Because our friend wound up not racing and didn't want to mail her chip in.) Then it was time for the after party. This was fun. There was a band. Free food from the local grocer. (Pulled pork sandwiches, chips, cookies, water, pop and beer.) After we rehydrated and got some food we took our after pictures and headed out.
![]() |
| After. He barely got colored. |
| After. |
So... my paley pale arm did not get tan. It got smurfed.
My Tip Sign up! Why not? Even walking a 5K is better than sitting on the couch!


Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for the recap! Your tips were great too...thanks for the color commentary...ba da bing, ba da boom! ;)
ReplyDelete