Monday, June 17, 2013

STRAWBERRIES

At the grad party we wound up going to on Saturday, two of Husband's cousin's spouses and I were chatting. I hope that made sense and even if it didn't... it's not that important. The moral of the story is that they don't like strawberries. I don't know why not. Because they are missing out.

Strawberry picking was awesome. I mean C only put one strawberry in his basket and put most of them in his mouth. As well as walk up and down the strawberry rows. He loved it is what I am saying. It wasn't too hot, or sunny or buggy. It was perfect.

And we left the farm with 19 pounds of the sweetest, most delicious and beautifully red strawberries I've ever ever had.

We saved some just for eating. We froze 2 gallon ziplocs full of whole strawberries for smoothies and things. We got a bunch ready for jam, strawberry rhubarb bars and other recipes.

And... I made the most delicious strawberry ice cream sauce. I want to take a bath in this sauce. And because I am nice I am going to share my secret. If you like strawberries and/or strawberry topping for ice cream (though gosh I am sure it would be good on pancakes, cheesecake and other things too) make this sauce.

You Will Need: 

2 heaping cups of strawberries
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla 

What to Do: 

1. Clean and chop the strawberries. Chop them as chunky or as not chunky as you'd like your sauce to be. Pour 2/3 of the strawberries into a pot. 

2. Add sugar to the pot. 

3. Cook for 5-10 minutes over high-ish heat and stir occasionally. It's going to smell good. But it will be hot. It will bubble and get thick. When it's a nice syrupy consistency take it off the heat. 

4. Stir in vanilla and the rest of the strawberries. 

5. Let cool then store in fridge in air tight container. My guess is it would be good for a few weeks but it probably won't last long enough to find out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!