Monday, June 23, 2014

Life As We Know It

I am deep in the trenches of the battle of everyday life. Not that it is particularly hard but, you know how it is right? Sometimes it is the monotony more than anything that gets you down. This weekend was a nice change of pace and while it brought it's own moments of stress and weakness it was all-around a pretty great one. 

We had a wedding on Saturday. I slept in just long enough to totally scrap all my "get ready" plans for the day. I know you know what I mean. Instead of a face mask and doing my nails, a regular shower and removing the gross chipped nail polish would have to suffice. 

This was further exasperated by Husband getting squeezed in for a haircut last last minute. He needed it and I am ultimately incredibly pleased he got a haircut for many reasons but it meant I had to get myself ready and a toddler packed and prepped for a day with relatives. We are fortunate that Husband's uncle and aunt live a few minutes away and are willing to watch C occasionally. (For free!) 

I know I talked about this on Friday, but my drive to get C all settled and on the road was all because of the dismissal by rows thing. I hate getting stuck in the back. It's the worst. But I, of course, stressed for no reason and we got delightful seats. We did bypass the "sign the guestbook" line at the church in order to accommodate my seating preference. But since guest books are always at the reception too (and it was) it didn't make one bit of difference and all was well. 

The wedding was really great. The bride's grandfather is a Deacon so was presiding over the wedding. (The groom's family is not primarily Catholic so it wasn't a full Mass.) He gave probably the best wedding homily I have ever had the pleasure to hear. I am sure it helps that it was his granddaughter he was speaking to, but the basic gist was that you can have God in your marriage but if you lose focus on each other and ever stop seeing your spouse for who they are that's when the trouble begins. 

The rest of the day went well. It didn't rain. The food was good. The reception venue was beautiful. It was exactly the bride's style. Which... was distressed vintage glamour. The only downfall of the distressed vintage aspect was that the air conditioning didn't work very well. At all. The room sat solidly at 80 for the duration of the evening. But once you just accepted the heat it wasn't so bad. I clearly wasn't drinking anything but water so that helped as well. We had a really good time. And when we picked up C to take him home he slept right through all the transferring so that's about as ideal as it gets. 

Yesterday my Dad and brother came to visit. Which was really great but incredibly teasy because the few hours we were able to see them wasn't really enough. I thoroughly enjoy my family and really wish seeing them could be more regular. And it breaks a mom's heart to hear your toddler say "Bye Bye Grandpa." He even woke up saying that this morning. (They left at bedtime.) 

But all in all it was a successful weekend. We have another wedding this weekend too in Husband's hometown and C will come to that reception so it should be equally fun but in a different way. We are going to have him nap as normal which will take place during the ceremony. I hope it proves to be just as much fun as Saturday's wedding! 

And that is pretty much what we did this weekend to combat the everyday monotony. This week should be pretty low-key to recover and prepare for travels. Hopefully the weather turns less rainy and we are able to get outside a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!