Tuesday, June 10, 2014

WWRW: Don't You Forget About Me

I am posting this WWRW just a smidgeon early because... you don't want to miss out on this book and it's a free Kindle promo RIGHT NOW! (And if you read this late, it's totally worth spending the $!) This is also where I remind you that you don't have to have a Kindle because there are Kindle apps and other options.

A little way back I got an email from Miss Erin McColl-Cupp sent me an email asking me to read her book and post a WWRW about it. She sent me a PDF of the book in exchange for a blog post but I assure you that all thoughts and opinions are mine and she in no way tried to convince me I had to write a positive review.


Luckily for everyone involved I have nothing but praises to sing. Don't You Forget About Me follows Mary Catherine as she attends a funeral of her former elementary school principal and essentially has a small town class reunion because everyone is there. Mary Catherine was about as unpopular as one could possibly get in elementary school and while reluctant to go back she is intrigued by the knowledge that her one friend Gene would like to speak with her. Those young love crushes are powerful draws you see.

After Mary Catherine arrives in Walkerville she is confronted by her old fears, classmates and your everyday run of the mill murder. Just kidding. Kidding about the run of the mill, not the murder. There's a murder.  McColl-Cupp is kind of a genius because she weaves a tale that will have you guessing for a very long time. I thought I knew exactly what was going on and then I suddenly knew nothing. This is not your typical murder mystery.

The sub plot follows "The Curse of '87." Many of the members of the class have major health problems especially when it comes to their reproductive health. Don't You Forget About Me is a Catholic novel and stays truthful to the Magisterium without being heavy handed.

Don't You Forget About Me is a well-written, plot-twist filled, delightful look at small town Catholic school kids all grown up. Partly funny, partly deadly serious (pun completely intended) and completely engaging. You will want to know what happens to Mary Catherine! If you like 80s music, Italian food, drama, friendships, Catholicism, and a murder mystery this is definitely the book for you. If none of those things sound interesting then I would not order a pizza, download the Kindle book and enjoy a good read.

I will eventually be linking this up with Jessica unless she goes into labor before then in which case we'll all forgive her because baby trumps books at least for a little while!



3 comments:

  1. I just LOVE it when someone reviews a book and its free on kindle! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was great fun! Just posted my review too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Also, a heads-up to you & your readers: you might want to take advantage of my "ONE FOR A FRIEND" Giveaway running now through June 17: http://wp.me/p3dFKH-cD Thanks again for checking out DYFAM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!