Well I am happy it is Thursday afternoon, thank you very much. This week has been incredibly rewarding and fun for me but I am TIRED. Husband was on a business trip overnight Tuesday and I did my first overnight with my kiddos all.by.my.self and it was just fine. I probably could've ripped that band-aid off a lot earlier but I am also glad that I didn't.
This week was also our week to host preschool since we came back from summer break last week! We're still kind of easing back into the whole thing so occasionally one or all three of them weren't super cooperative but that's kind of how you roll with the 3-year-old set. We had W! Of course we did, because Walrus starts with W and you better believe I claimed that letter during our "draft" of deciding who got what letter.
Tuesday I kinda didn't do a good job taking pictures so you get only one from our Tuesday activities. We read Where's Walrus and Red Wagon. We made our Walrus craft by gluing the pieces on the body and coloring. (With W tusks of course.) For snack we had Watermelons and Wheat Thins. We also did Erupting Watermelons with Watermelon Rinds full of baking soda and a little squirt of dish soap. We used kitchen squeeze bottles with Watermelon Kool-Aid, water and vinegar and watched the reactions. It was messy and fun and Preschool Science! Preschool Protip: The Kool Aid itself didn't make very good reactions and I added vinegar to the bottles halfway through. I followed the instructions but I must have diluted it too much I guess.
Today I was a little bit more prepared with my phone so I could snap pictures of the fun! Our opening activity was a George Washington coloring sheet. Because Washington starts with W of course.
After reading Humphrey the Lost Whale we water-colored whales. Preschool Protip: Use painters tape to hold the paper down on the table so it doesn't move around on them. As a bonus, you can hang them on the wall to dry and save counter/table space.
I made George Washington finger puppets last night. Only I used craft foam, a paint pen and hot glue because we did an activity where George Washington crosses the Delaware.
Here is our tin foil Delaware River with ice cubes, because it was December and cold. Preschool Protip: Buy heavy duty tin foil. We did not have that in the drawer and I foolishly proceeded anyhow. This activity was VERY popular with C. So popular in fact that as I write this, he is playing George Washington crosses the Delaware again with a small baking pan river and ice cubes. He keeps saying "I will not tell a lie" so I guess he retained some of his Washington facts. This activity was not as popular with one of the girls and she did not want to play at all. As you can see by her Washington puppet just sitting in the water. I called the coloring sheet, puppet and activity Preschool History!
For snack today we had waffles and worms. (Grape Kabobs.)
Today was water day because again, w word. And we did a "car wash" with the cozy coupe. Just some shaving cream, rags, the kitchen squeeze bottles again and towels. This was another fun one, the girls did not like getting messy with the shaving cream but liked the cleaning it up with water part. C liked the whole thing. M got in on the squeeze bottle actions too. This was a win-win which is a W phrase. *giant lame-o winking face* The Cozy Coupe was dirty anyway so it needed to be cleaned and Wash starts with W.
After that we did Whales and Water Table. I dug out every toy whale we have and plopped them in the water table. They liked it a lot. This wasn't much of an organized activity as much as guided free play. We ended by having free play in the yard, with the car, water table, sprinkler, chalk, bubbles and just general running around.
These are the W materials we used this week for learning. Sandpaper Letters for learning how to write a W. (Down Up Down Up) and the President placemat for our talk about George Washington.
My two days were pretty successful but I am still happy I have two weeks off before it's my turn again!! That's what we've been up to at our house this week.




WoW!!!! See what I did there?! W...Wow! ; )
ReplyDeleteAnyway...you are a preschool rockstar, my friend!!!
Awesome! : )
Love all of these! You did W justice!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you've seen this, but a friend shared these live cams on facebook, and look, a wild walrus one! http://explore.org/live-cams/player/walrus-cam-round-island
ReplyDeleteLet me just say --- you rock on ideas!! I want to come to your preschool!!
ReplyDelete