Sunday, March 20, 2016

Imagination Station

Saturday morning we were up bright and early for the Imagination Station. The local PBS station set up this totally free event and it turned out to be a really fun family outing. We decided to park down the way and take the school bus shuttle. It probably wouldn't have been necessary as there seemed to be a lot of parking but it was fun to ride the bus with the kids and they seemed to really enjoy that.

The doors didn't open until 9 promptly. We were definitely near the front of the line but my kids were not happy to stand around that long. When we could get in we headed straight for Daniel Tiger, as that was the character C said he wanted to see the most. He was of course as far away as possible. And in a tiny little room.

I have a love/hate relationship with that show. Some of the little songs have been super helpful for C but some have caused some negative behaviors as well. Which stinks. But we went to his room. We did the tic tac toe bean bag game. Made the tiger mask and played play-doh. It was good. Even in a tiny little room. I think the station underestimated how popular that tiger is! Then M started to get restless and so Husband took her for a walk while C and I got in line.

C was not happy to be in a line again. And he was really not happy that his dad wasn't there. So he definitely cried all through meeting Daniel. I don't even think it was Daniel he was scared of but maybe.

We went to find Husband and he and M were in line to meet Curious George. I got chewed out from a lady who wasn't even in the room yet but whatever. We were those people and C joined his dad. He cried all through meeting George too. M liked it though!

After we calmed my guy down we set off to find Peg from Peg + Cat. This section of the event was definitely less crowded and I really appreciated that. There was also Mona Lisa, a horse and Batman on the wall and C thought that was awesome. Each kid got a free book from the book room. Such a fun thing! We actually wound up going to the Cat room first. The kids did all the activities in the room and we were second in line to meet Cat. It was awesome.

Then right across the hall was Peg's room and we went in there, did those activities and were second in line to meet Peg. Peg + Cat is my new favorite show. I was resistant at first because it's about math and I kinda sorta don't like math. But those rooms were so chill and had such fun activities that I am sold. The songs and the actual educational value don't hurt either. I am probably going to make M be Peg for Halloween, ukulele and all.

Because we didn't have to wait to see Peg we made it in time to meet Wyatt from Super Why. He had a GIANT room. He should have traded with Daniel! Then we got on the bus and headed back to our car.


While I think the event could have been laid out better (having people go all over multiple building on a college campus was maybe not the most convenient.) it was a lot of fun. Especially for free!

A mom right away at the beginning was overheard saying "Giving birth to my children was easier than this day." and she was not lying. The standing around in line for a half hour to get in put everyone on edge. Then it was very much a "go go go" for people to compete. There was a big open commons area that they should have sent us too. Played some music and let people run around so it wouldn't have been so intense. But it did calm down and get so much better as everyone relaxed.

8 comments:

  1. I have some granddaughters who would have LOVED this event. It's only because of those girls that I even recognize the names of all these PBS characters.

    I say they would have loved it, but there's every chance that they would have cried through a good bit of it, too...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The certainly would have loved the activities. Each room had a craft, game and themed learning activity. It was very fun!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun time even with the lines. Other than Curious George, I don't recognize any of those shows! Guess that's to be expected though. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PBS Kids sure cycles through them. They're cute.

      Delete
  3. Okay, you are speaking my language! I have never heard of this kind of event, so I will have to look it up. Thanks for the lowdown!

    I am not a fan of Peg + Cat and you are probably wondering why because I LOVE math! Well, the math part is great, I totally agree on that. However, when it first started a year or so ago, Peg did this very annoying thing every episode where she would encounter whatever math problem of the day was, get frustrated and started yelling "I am TOTALLY freaking out!!!!" followed by the Cat trying to calm her down and then he would tell her to start counting backwards from 10. Does she still do the "totally freaking out" thing? If not, I might steer Elizabeth towards it again. I just didn't want her to think that was okay to start yelling that every time she had an issue. And I am so usually NOT that mom who monitors every single thing with every show, but this one really grated on me. Ha, ha...I do sound like that mom.

    But Daniel Tiger, Curious George, Super Why, and Cat in the Hat - all very much beloved shows in this house most mornings. Have you seen the new ones that just started a few weeks ago - Nature Cat and Ready, Get Set, Jet! Or something like that. Nature Cat is fine, I think it seems a lot like Cat in the Hat, with the whole focus on the Cat's adventures, but okay....I prefer Cat in the Hat. And I am not sure about the other one with the focus on outer space. The topic itself is great and the real life astronomer that they feature in each episode is super cool and really interesting, but they have sketched the cartoon dad as a buffoon and his wife being the super smart and always knows better one (at least in the episodes I caught). I am not a fan of that, it is so overdone.

    Hmm...my longest comment on a blog in weeks, and it is about PBS programming. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does the "totally freaking out" thing. And I totally get your point, but it's been okay for us because now when something doesn't go C's way he just counts backwards. It could be annoying but not as bad as the negative behavior Daniel has encouraged so it will stay at our house. (Daniel is on probation on a day by day basis.)

      I don't think you're that mom. That's why there's a gazillion children's programming so you can find the show that fits your family! Nature Cat is on too early here so we've only caught glimpses. I haven't even heard of the outer space one. I just looked and it's on in the afternoon here. We LOVE Wild Kratz so that's the afternoon show we get to watch. They have a live show touring but not close enough to us for us to go.

      You should totally check to see if they have an Imagination Station event by you! We would do it again!

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha...yes, Nature Cat..thanks to "early bird" Katharine. :) Oh and we LOVE Wild Kratz too. Not sure how I forgot that one. Thanks for letting me know about Peg's habit, hmmm.... Glad to know C isn't catching on to that one. Which is funny, I have never had an issue with the Daniel Tiger little ditty's. Now I am super curious which ones you don't like! :) (I am not saying they aren't appropriate, it is just I am usually busy cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, other sorts of things when it comes on here around 9:30 or 10am and I have always considered it safe, unlike Peg, that I haven't paid attention).

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!