Monday, March 28, 2016

The Best

Hello Everybody! Happy Easter!

We are back from our whirlwind trip to Minnesota to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus and some other fun activities. It was just the best weekend. Not only was it full of family and love and all the good stuff, but we did two especially FUN things as well. 

Late Friday, Husband, Brother and I went to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 in the theater with the nice leather reclining seats. It was delightful. I love the first one so much! The sequal was a bit more ridiculous than the first, some gag bits that didn't quite read as true but overall the heart was the same. I totally cried. Just as in the first movie, at the core was a family that loved each other but a daughter who fell in love with the "wrong" person and how they coped. At the core of this was that same family that loved each other but examined how relationships ebb and flow. 

Then the real reason we went to Minnesota in the first place was because my mom got us tickets to see Alan Cumming Sing Sappy Songs at Orchestra Hall. (Not that Easter wasn't a bonus, it was, but we usually do Easter at home.) 

It was phenomenal. Everything about the night was great. Getting dressed up and going out in the city was exactly what I needed. Then we were exactly the target audience  for Alan. We understood all the theater references, which were vast. (Threepenny Opera, Brecht, Cabaret, last year's Tony Awards, Liza, Kristin Chenowith, etc.) We appreciated The Good Wife discussion because seriously Eli is my favorite. (He did the Eli face!) And I have a deep heartfelt relationship with sappy pop songs so I enjoyed those immensely. I would tell you to watch some of it on YouTube, but I've seen it and he was so much better live. (PG-13 content but maybe pushed over to R because he's Scottish and swears a lot.) 

He really fed off the audience and was so good. Really really hilarious. Well we thought so. Some of the people we were sitting by bristled a little, and the people next to us couldn't understand his accent. (I'm not sure why, I don't think I missed anything he said. He is a well trained actor with good diction. We were in the 4th row and also it was Orchestra Hall so the acoustics were phenomenal.) 

Lance piano guy, Alan, Eleanor cellist, and percussionist guy

It was so great. I loved it. I love loved it! His cellist played beautifully. I kinda secretly hope one of my kids wants to play the cello but I'm not going to push. I was definitely trying to be in the moment and not taking pictures, but I had to take at least one during the final bows. 

Then we had a great Easter Sunday and good drive back home. 

Awesome. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad to hear you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. I really want to see it. I loved the first one so much, and was worried the second one would be a disappointment in comparison. But I'm happy to hear it's worth seeing.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the humor is a little more slapstick and over the top, especially at the beginning. But it settles down and gets real. I did enjoy it. Maybe not as much as the first but it's hard to recapture all of that.

      Delete
  2. Happy for you!!!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun to get out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!