Monday, July 22, 2013

Bells Will Ring Theeeeee Sun Will Shine

Kicking off this blog-every-day week with just your random catching up/life as we know it post.

Husband's friend from high school got married over the weekend. We headed out on our adventure on the most perfect weather day for a wedding. My guess is when she planned her wedding in July she was not anticipating 80 degrees partly cloudy and little to no humidity. The heat wave absolutely broke and that was great.

She had a very family friendly wedding and there were lots of youngins around. C looked adorable, the shirt was a little big (silly me not trying it on him first oops.) He got many a compliment on his dapper self. And I would go so far to say he was the best dressed boy under 7. Not that little boys don't look adorable in polos, because they absolutely do, but we bumped up the classy meter with the tie.

I spent a whole five minutes picking out Husband's outfit and mine so as a family unit we would look coordinated but not matchy, unfortunately we never got a family picture. 

There were a lot of kids at the wedding and man, it was a largely attended wedding, but C was not a fan of the wedding itself. If he were graded he would have gotten a C. He wasn't so bad that I would have pulled him out of a normal Mass. But I did not want him to ruin the wedding homily, or even worse the vows, and forever be remembered on the wedding video. So we spent a rather large portion in the cry area, the entrance way and even for a while playing with the decorative rocks outside the church. We did make it back in at the end. 

The biggest mistake we made was after the wedding. The whole dismissal by rows thing is something I will never ever understand and it was torture. Everyone with kids was in the back. And while I know Aunt Susie has every bit of right to be the 4th person to offer the newlyweds her best wishes, the 5 rows of parents of small children just need to leave. And sadly at this small town church the bride and groom were blocking what I perceived to be the only door. After 55 minutes of waiting our turn to leave I found another door that was actually right by our car but by that point we had only 3 pews left to go. We were literally the last guests to leave the church. It was bad. 

Like any Catholic wedding I've ever been to, there's some time to kill between the wedding and reception so we checked into our hotel and C was able to nap and have a little more to eat in hopes of the behavior improving. Not that I blamed him by this point. I was less than impressed. 

Our great plan didn't work. It was a really big wedding. 750 people. So the dinner portion was truly like a buffet, after you got your food someone would seat you and your party. And there were going to be 3 full shifts of eating. We ate immediately but then were stuck with nothing to do and a very vocal one year old. We went outside on the golf course for a while and C found another pile of decorative rocks to pick up and carry around. On the behavior scale he wasn't even bad, he just had energy to expend. He spent the day riding in the car, then being told he had to sit still and be quiet. So by that point he just wanted to yell and run everywhere. If we were at a park, he would have been fine, but we were at a wedding. 

We left. Early. Embarrassingly early. Hours before the dance was even going to start. Because while their DJ was obnoxious and was narrating every aspect of the wedding, (Who all the vendors were, the food, the activities, his entire life story.) the information proved helpful as we knew the grand march/dance started at 8. And after C was all calmed down at the hotel, Husband went back. And I watched my new obsession show on the Kindle, played myself in Spot It, and relaxed. And it was incredibly enjoyable. 

All in all it was a good wedding, Husband enjoyed himself and at the end of the day J and J got married which is the most important part. 

Tune in tomorrow for part 2 of the 7-Day-Blog-A-Thon.


1 comment:

  1. Hey!!!! Yes, its me commenting on your blog..I am a slacker...I am glad things are well. I read a bit back...your little guy is getting SO BIG!! I must check out those megablock. Michael would love them. Are you kidding me....750 guests at the wedding?! That was huge and expensive I bet. I can never imagine M holding out all night at that type of event. C looked adorable...love little boys in ties. So adorable. thanks for all the commenting on my blog. Girl...huh??? hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!