Friday, July 5, 2013

Quick Takes on This Friday

I am feeling contemplative over my oatmeal this morning so... I think it's a Quick Takes Day.

1. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Memorial Day and Labor Day have it right. There's no arbitrary date attached it's just a Monday that people get off. I am sure I would be much more apt to enjoy Thanksgiving and 4th of July if they came with 3 day weekends. This whole random day off then back to work stuff is tricky.

2. Let's say Puerto Rico becomes a state. It is a distinct possibility. Does this mean that West Side Story will forever more be a period piece? I know it already is technically, but people like to update it and such. But America which is my favorite song BTW would suddenly become a whole lot less pertinent.

3. Blessed Pope John-Paul II is going to be a saint. Love it. Love him.

4. Amidst all fireworks going off like crazy last night, I pulled weeds from my sidewalk and watched The Parent Trap, which is one of my all time favorite movies. I am not a big go see fireworks girl, but if I had been, last night was the perfect night for them. Not buggy, not muggy.

5. I have been reading Kindle Library Books. There is something very nice about sitting on my buns, in my house and checking out and returning library books. And I have my card from my hometown, and my new town so that measly 5 book limit is actually a ten book limit and waitlist, shmait list I am flying through the books. Love it.

6. That being said, some of the books I have started and promptly stopped. Not really. In fourth grade there was a 4 chapter test rule, where you couldn't decide you didn't like a book until after the fourth chapter. The idea being that by that point you're probably engaged enough to just keep going. I still follow that rule, but even after 4 chapter at least 2 books had to go. But no problem and no special trip to return them was necessary. So I find myself taking risks with the books I get and wouldn't you know, some are pretty good.

7. In the time I started this I have read 2 board books, sang 3 songs, helped a toddler with his stuffy nose and finished my oatmeal. Awesome. 8 hours until the real weekend. :)

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about #2. This could cause a whole new issue.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!