Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy Caucus Day!

Well it's my favorite day of the (Presidential election) year, caucus day. The day when people around the country stop and watch what myself and other's in my state choose to do with our vote. If you can call it that.



As I said on Friday, the caucus is a flawed system to be sure. Especially for the Democrats. That's just madness. When they meet, they vote over and over again until people reach a consensus. I'm totally serious. The Republican caucus, which is held in a completely different location picked by the party, at least just do a straw poll.

But I digress. While normally I take to comments like this:


For today at least, I am going to hide under a rock because it's kind of hard reading person after person who is angry that we are first and somehow wield so much even though we're: predominately white, Christian, out of touch or insert whatever issue you take with us here. 

As it happens, it kind of really sucks to be first. Other than the fact that you could literally see the next President of the United States many times because everyone comes to town, it's kind of annoying. When most people were annoyed that Christmas commercials started after Halloween, we were getting deep in the trenches of political ads. 

And it all ends tonight. When all the counts are in and we're either celebrated for finally picking someone good or ridiculed because we didn't. Then the ones who aren't picked will point to the fact that Iowa tends to not pick the eventual nominee. Trump has already said this many times. That even if he loses we pick losers anyway. Unless we pick him and then go us. For what it's worth, I haven't actually met a Trump supporter though that will certainly end tonight at my caucus. 

I did attend one rally yesterday for Marco Rubio. It was good. I liked what he had to say and it was interesting to watch. There were a lot of people standing by me who went just to hear though. The college students in front of me were openly mocking him and proud of the fact they were ineligible to caucus. (They were from Illinois.) But they left right at the end to go see Jeb so I think it was some sort of quest to catch 'em all. There were also two ladies in their late 60s or early 70s standing next to me and we chatted a little, until I expressed that I liked Rubio. (Again, at a Rubio rally) Then they moved away from me like I had the plague and spent the speech shaking their head at him. But power to them all for at least being informed. 



So we'll see how it goes today. I'm curious and I am going to do my part. For those of you in a state where you haven't had all the attack ads and good ads and things: The I Side With  quiz is a good jumping off point to see which individual thinks the most like you. Then you can do more research on specific candidates from there. Better to know than to go with the flow sometimes. 

I'm going to be happy to go back to being a flyover state tomorrow though. (At least until August or September.) 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a horrible thing - these caucuses! At least it will be over tonight. I'm already so annoyed by my Facebook feed. I really don't care who anyone is voting for - it will not sway me at all. I have been praying that the God will raise up the right candidate for this country - someone that will seek God before all else. That's really what we need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been saying the same thing - I haven't met a trump supporter! I like Rubio and Pauk, and I lined up very closely with Rubio on a quiz I took months back - neither my husband or I had even heard of him at that point. It will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been saying the same thing - I haven't met a trump supporter! I like Rubio and Pauk, and I lined up very closely with Rubio on a quiz I took months back - neither my husband or I had even heard of him at that point. It will certainly be interesting to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grew up there, definitely took advantage of learning about some of it while I was there; not sorry to miss some of the craziness now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!