I almost cannot comprehend how it is possible you are 4-years-old today. You and I are such a team and it breaks my heart to know that our whole days together are closing fast. In August you will start preschool at the "big school" and you are so excited. I am going to miss you but I cannot wait to watch you bloom!
You have the sweetest, most sensitive soul. You are very susceptible to picking up tension and when people are unhappy. You are a crier, like me. Sorry about that. I hope that you will continue to grow in your ability to use words to express your feelings, but you feel every emotion to the extreme and that is hard. The upside to your big feelings is your propensity for snuggling. Your love language is definitely physical touch and you give the best hugs/snuggles/high fives/wrestles I can imagine.
I love being in awe of your memory. It should probably stop surprising me but it hasn't yet. The things you pick up and remember is astounding. I am going to take some credit for that as well. You spout out some pretty impressive knowledge for just-turning-four and I am thrilled that you love to learn.
This past year you have grown to write your name and draw people but it takes a lot of coaxing and a lot of affirmations to get it done. You just have more important things to do with your time besides drawing and that's okay. Really. You've shown me you can and that's what's important. That's how you and I work though, you decide when you will or won't do something and I just go along for the ride.
You know all your letters, their sounds, the vowels and their two sounds and you're starting to sound things out. I am sure you're going to be a reader, your favorite activity besides animals is paging through books and telling yourself the stories.
My favorite thing in the world is that you still love walruses so much. I never would have ever thought that my 20 month old would have zeroed in on the walrus, but you did. Penguins are giving the walrus a run for their money but it's because penguin books and toys are so much easier to come by! You love them both though and tell everyone that. I know that I went overboard on you (Ant)Arctic Birthday Party, but I couldn't help myself. You have such a unique interest and I want to celebrate that. I am sure there will be super commercial parties in our future, but man I love the creativity of your theme this year.
You came downstairs this morning to see the Arctic land your dad and I created last night while you slept. "I love this birthday party!" And you kept saying it. "This is the best birthday party I've ever seen." And it was little boy, because it was the perfect party to celebrate you.
When I ask you what you want to be when you grow up you say "A Penguin Doctor" or a "Zoo Doctor." I would not be one bit surprised if that came true. You love animals and science. You have a thirst for knowledge and a tender heart so of course a caring profession makes sense.
On Mother's Day, you came and gave me a hug and said, "I am glad I am your boy." Well, I am too. And I am glad I am your mom. Happiest of birthdays to you buddy! 4 is going to be a great year, I just know it! I love you and you are awesome.
Love, Mom


Happy Birthday to your boy!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd what a special note you wrote...
Enjoy, my friend! : )
Ah, what a sweet birthday memory post!!! Congratulations C on turning 4! It is an awesome year!!!! C and E sound so much alike, she is a crier to and so very sensitive to any discord or tension. Such beautiful souls they both have!! Happy Birthday C!!! Can't wait to see pics from the party!
ReplyDeleteMadeline, this post is unbelievably sweet. Your boy sounds like such a sensitive, loving little soul. After reading this, I feel like I know him. (And he reminds me an awful lot of some of our boys at that age!)
ReplyDeleteThat ability to pick up any discord or tension--our son #2 always had it, and he still does. Your little man is going to take very good care of his mama someday, after you're finished taking care of him. <3