Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Field Trip

 Our Memorial Day was spent at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum. We had been there once before when C was two years old but I have been meaning to get back. I don't know why I was struck with the idea to go late Sunday night but I did and we decided to go.


The museum is about 45 minutes from our house and we got there mid-morning. The museum wasn't very crowded and we did the main Hoover history portion followed by their traveling exhibit about The Mob in the 20s. 

I am further convinced after a second visit to the museum, that Hoover was a really upstanding man with a good heart. He was a President who would have been revered I think, had the stock market not crashed. He was dealt a bad hand and did the very best he could. He really had a good heart. I wish someone like him was running right now. 

Then we headed outside for the remainder of the national historic site. It includes the Herbert Hoover birthplace cottage, blacksmith shop, Friend's meetinghouse, school, other historical homes that aren't open to the public and the Presidential grave site. It's idyllic and wonderful. If I ever had a lot of money I would do a wandering production of The Music Man and perform it using the different locations in the historical area. There's even a bridge! 


The setting was wonderful for taking some pictures. We had a little lunch and then we looped the museum again to see more of it. We kind of had to keep moving the first time through (and the second) as it isn't really geared towards children but it was fun nevertheless. 

We went back to "the little white house" (birthplace cottage) because that was what C liked the best and then we headed home. There was a brass band concert starting shortly after we were leaving and the parking lot and grounds were getting crowded, and the kids were getting precariously past nap time and they were hot to boot. 


It was a great educational family outing and I am so thankful to the men and women in our armed forces who have given their lives in service. Without their great sacrifice I wouldn't have had this special day with my loves. 

2 comments:

  1. Such sweet childhood memories you are creating! Juli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are so cute--and so obviously siblings! They really look very much alike. :)

    We are distantly related to Warren G. Harding on my father's side, and he is thought of as a terrible president (Teapot Dome scandal, etc.). The press really loved him at first and then turned on him with a vengeance. I read a biography about him, though, that convinced me he was really a very good man at heart, and actually a pretty good president, too. So I hear what you're saying about Hoover. I think either one of those two former presidents would be a huge improvement over what we've got now and what we're about to get!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!