Possibly linking with Jessica for What I'm Reading Wednesday. Which I hope can be stretched to what I just finished reading. And that she posts a link up this week otherwise all my thoughts are a little less relevant. But still posted...
2. First up in the recently finished category: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.
This was our latest book club book. It is an entire book based off of Genesis 34. Like from The Bible. I was hesitant when it was described to me. This book had an interesting writing style to it. It wasn't pure story telling but it didn't just read like a novel either. I still can't decide if I liked that but I'm still thinking about it so that's something I think. There were a brief few pages that were super interesting and intense. Funny enough, the part that was taken directly from The Bible. Diamant sums up the entire book in one succinct paragraph at the end. Which is both frustrating and beautiful. It is a good message but it was also something to be inferred from previous four hours of reading. Book club was rescheduled so lucky you, I haven't had the chance to discuss it with anyone yet so you get all my thoughts.
3. Next up in the recently finished category is Eleanor Brown's The Weird Sisters.
I really enjoyed this one. It helps to know your Shakespeare a little bit, or at the very very very least your As You Like It, King Lear and Taming of the Shrew. It is interesting that Brown so nicely weaves the flaws of Shakespearean characters into modern counterparts who are similar to their namesakes in flaws but fully formed as individuals. Brown does a nice job weaving her own plot and story using Shakespearean elements and experiences. The story is simultaneously relatable and complex. It was just mindless enough to be a quick read novel but with enough meat to it to be more than just a poolside book. Not that I have a pool.
4. After a thought provoker and a good read I needed a quick read so I went back to From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond. This was the very first book I purchased for my newly bought Kindle in February of 2011. There was a blizzard and everything was closed and I stayed in bed and read. It must have been something about that experience that was unreachable in July because this book read faster and less heartfelt a second time around. I don't know. Maybe it's that there's no surprise but, I hope I'm not spoiling anything here, she has 4 kids is, is still married and happy. (And filthy rich with the cattle, book deals galore and a cooking show...) I won't say I don't like this book, I read it all the way through again when I could have easily just stopped. But I will say I dunno I'll go back to it anytime again. In that regards, glad it's a digital copy. The number of metaphors and descriptions of kissing is astounding--it could be a case study.
5. And then since I am being honest and everything I am currently reading The Red House by Mark Haddon.
I started this before The Weird Sisters and Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. First thing that threw me is all dialogue is not in quotation marks, it is in italics. Then I have to keep all the characters straight because the book is from all of their point of view and switches every few pages. Next up I'll have to power through and finish. Not sure where it's heading. Not sure I like it or would even recommend it but this in all truthfulness is what I am reading, today on Wednesday.




I read The Red Tent when it first came out, which seems like a hundred years ago, and I remember not being crazy about it. So I'm always puzzled when I see it on current book lists. I'm probably stupid and missed the entire point of the book, but all I remember was thinking, "Gosh, I'm so glad I don't have to endure my period in the Bronze Age".
ReplyDeleteThat Brown books looks interesting. I'll have to give it a look.
I remember reading Ree's story when she posted it on her blog. I wonder how different the book is.
ReplyDeleteAs I am going to be beachside for two weeks this month, I'm going to try to get a copy of The Weird Sisters. The Red Tent and The Red House, all you're missing is The Little Red Caboose!
ReplyDeleteI read the blog version and the book. There's a little more detail in the book, but it was better on the blog when it was a cliffhanger. I like her cookbooks more.
The Weird Sisters sounds like a good one-I'll put it on my to-read list!
ReplyDeleteIt is disappointing when you go back to a book that has such fond memories only to be disappointed! I find Ree to be at her best on the blog, her show comes off stale and even though I like her recipes the books feel boring somehow too. What can you do!?
I read The Red Tent years ago, in the throes of walking a very colicky baby, and remember loving it.
ReplyDeleteThe Weird Sisters looks really interesting; I'm excited to read it! Thanks!