Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Just Exactly the Same

When I was in elementary school I went to a before and after school program—let’s call it Mission Children for the sake of the blog. Back in time all day Kindergarten was not a thing, I had morning. So my parents would drop me off before school, I would go to class and then at noon when most kids were getting on the bus, I would go to Mission Children.

Kindergarten was obviously the exception, because the 1st-6th graders were still in school. So what would happen is we would eat lunch and then walk to the chalet until school was out. There is a park directly connected to my elementary school and really close to the school is the warming house, for ice skating. The basement of the warming house, was called the chalet.

In the chalet we took our rests on mats. They were essentially a piece of foam covered in rubber and we each had our own with our name on it. After rest time we had the run of the building and there were stations with fun activities. I ruled the store/kitchen area. It had the Fisher Price cupcake set, that I wanted for my very own. I never did get them… sad. And the kitchen area was nearest the tape player so I could control which Raffi tap we'd listen to. Oh the power I thought I had. 

One of the aforementioned cupcakes.

Often there would be a craft or fun project to do, but my favorite was when we’d do cooking projects. We’d bake cookies, or pop popcorn. It was great. But one of my most favorite memories was when we’d get to make donuts.So imagine my delight when I saw this on Pinterest. It was like my childhood memory resurfaced. I set out to recreate my childhood. Oh man it was fun. I didn’t even use the link, but feel free to, I just went off the cuff and my memory to tasty delicious doughnuts. 

You Will Need

Can of biscuits. 
Oil About 2 cups or at least 1/2 inch in your pot
Cinnamon/Sugar Mix to your taste
Paper Towels
Tongs


What To Do

1. First put your oil into a pot and heat it up. 
I used an enameled cast iron. 
Just ignore the spot where the enamel came off a bit. 

2. Get your cinnamon and sugar into a bowl. 
I truly just eye balled this and put the lid on and shook it up to mix. 


 3. Then get your biscuits ready. 
I cut a hole then used my fingers to spread the dough out a bit. 
That's how we did it when I was 5. 
You could use a cookie cutter, but it was more fun to use my fingers. 


4. Put the dough in the oil. It will sizzle and expand very quickly. 


5. Use the tongs to flip them over when they're golden brown. 


 6. When both sides are golden take them out and blot on paper towel. 

7. Then put them in the cinnamon sugar mix. 
Making sure to coat the entire donut. 



8. Feel free to eat. 
They aren't quite Tom Thumb but they're still pretty darn good. 
And exactly the same as when I was 5. 




It was a great afternoon and I even listened to Raffi to boot because that's how I roll. It was a tasty stroll down memory lane and I am glad for an excuse. I am linking up with the Pinterest Party over at Revolution of Love. What a great idea for a link up! 

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I had to read this because we had that cupcake set, and I had forgotten about it until recently when my mom took them out for Annamarie to play with

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be around the same age as my little brother. I still have nightmares of long family drives listening to Raffi's Baby Baluga continuously. ��Lol. Love the donuts and childhood memories! Thx for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It sure makes my day!